Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Nativity


My grandmother made this plastic canvas nativity. It took her years to finish it. I remember she was constantly working on it when I was a child, and every year she added a new piece to the nativity set.

Imagine my surprise the first year of my new marriage when I opened a package from her and found the nativity neatly nestled inside.

My grandmother's plastic canvas nativity is one of my most cherished mementos and I am blessed to be able to share it with you.
Merry Christmas!



Luke 2: 1-18
 
(1) In those days a decree went out from Caesar Augustus that all the world should be registered.
 
(2) This was the first registration when Quirinius was governor of Syria.

(3) And all went to be registered, each to his own town.

(4) And Joseph also went up from Galilee, from the town of Nazareth, to Judea, to the city of David, which is called Bethlehem, because he was of the house and lineage of David,

(5) to be registered with Mary, his betrothed, who was with child.

(6) And while they were there, the time came for her to give birth.

(7) And she gave birth to her firstborn son and wrapped him in swaddling cloths and laid him in a manger, because there was no place for them in the inn.


(8) And in the same region there were shepherds out in the field, keeping watch over their flock by night.

(9) And an angel of the Lord appeared to them, and the glory of the Lord shone around them, and they were filled with fear.

(10) And the angel said to them, "Fear not, for behold, I bring you good news of a great joy that will be for all the people.

(11) For unto you is born this day in the city of David a Savior, who is Christ the Lord.

(12) And this will be a sign for you: you will find a baby wrapped in swaddling cloths and lying in a manger."


(13) And suddenly there was with the angel a multitude of the heavenly host praising God and saying,


(14) "Glory to God in the highest, and on earth peace among those with whom he is pleased!"


(15) When the angels went away from them into heaven, the shepherds said to one another, "Let us go over to Bethlehem and see this thing that has happened, which the Lord has made known to us."


(16) And they went with haste and found Mary and Joseph, and the baby lying in a manger.


(17) And when they saw it, they made known the saying that had been told them concerning this child.


(18) And all who heard it wondered at what the shepherds told them.



Matthew 2:9-11

(9) After listening to the king, they went on their way. And behold, the star that they had seen when it rose went before them until it came to rest over the place where the child was.

(10) When they saw the star, they rejoiced exceedingly with great joy.

(11) And going into the house they saw the child with Mary his mother, and they fell down and worshiped him. Then, opening their treasures, they offered him gifts, gold and frankincense and myrrh.



Look at this little chickens in the hayloft.  Oh the details!


One of the great things about this nativity is that is is not breakable.


Although, I don't necessarily think that we are supposed to be playing with it either.  ahem!




Thanks for visiting.  I hope that you enjoyed seeing my Grandma's nativity. 

This nativity post is part of a Nativity Parade.  Please click the link below to view even more creative and special nativities.  I predict that I will be making the block nativity soon.  Doesn't every household need a toilet paper nativity?   



Do you have a special Christmas memento in your home?

8 comments:

DixieJo said...

thanks for your sweet comment on my blog. I loved your post too. What a treasure of gift you have from your Grandma. I will come back and check on you.

Jules said...

I am proud to be your 20th follower! I put the same verse from Luke on my blog for the nativity parade. I'll be checking back to see what other nativities you come up with! Shall I send you some toilet paper rolls? ;-) Come see me at bles-id ... and have a very merry Christmas! jules

L a u r a said...

What a treasure of a Navitity you have! It's especially sweet that your grandmother gave it to you for your first year of marriage...probably after all of those years of you admiring it and watching her progress on it. And now, your kids can be in awe. Sweet!

Maria Babin said...

would you please link up this sweet nativity to my christmas link party?
http://busyasabeeinparis.blogspot.com/2010/11/christmas-ideas-for-children-des-idees.html
maria

ruth said...

What a lovely gift from your Grandmother!

Fairy Grandmother said...

I just love this nativity...thanks for sharing it with us!!

SusieQ said...

Glad you are enjoying the nativity so much and hope you continue to love it for years to come! If you look at the back of the barn carefully you should find some little loops that hold the star so it will be up above the head of the angel... Anyway, they were there at one time!

Maria Babin said...

Thank you very much for linking up to my party! Hope your holidays are full of warmth and cheer! Hugs, Maria