Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Busy as "bee"

My horrible busy time at work is over.  I am now back to working part-time: leaving every day at 3:00.  This is so great for our schedule.  It gives me the free time to run an errand after work if I need to and then get the kids and have plenty of time to make a healthy dinner... and... still have time to play before going to bed.

Last night Bro and I watered our vegetable garden and then I pushed him on the swing that Dear Husband made.  Boys are so fun.  You just never know what is going to pop out of their mouths.  Last night it was, "Mommy.  Do you know what?  Girls are stinky."  So cute!

Girls are Stinky!
 After Bro went to bed (Bri was already in bed) I started on Bri's birthday dress... you know... the one that fits the "bee" theme. 

Ahem... instead of making it all yellow on one side and all black on the other, I decided to make a border for the bottom of each side.  I thought about it and thought about it... and thought some more... and decided that I could do it.  So, I cut the dress and then snipped off the bottom as a border.  I ended up with something that will go together like this.

{{My apologies for the camera phone pictures.}}


Cute, right? 

Well, then I flipped them with the 'right sides together' to sew them and ended up with something like this.


See... when you flip the border up it bends the wrong way.

Oh... so... NOT having ANY extra fabric to work with... this is when I started to panic.

I flipped the piece back and forth several times... wondering why the heck it wasn't working and... more importantly... now what was I going to do?

So, I scrunched it together like this.


And, then I started sewing... as carefully and precisely as possible.

I ended up with this.  This is the back of the dress, for illustrative purposes.  But, do you see the little bit of black fabric hanging off of the end?  Why is it there? Why doesn't this match up exactly? 


No worries.  I finished all of my borders and I can cut the ends off {{shhhhh... don't tell anyone.}}  The dress will go together perfectly -- I just know it!

p.s.  Let's just make a deal right now.  If you don't see the dress in her birthday pictures then you will know that this was a total disaster and we won't ever mention this again, mkay???

No comments: