Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Home Improvements

While it was wonderful that someone (thanks Ariane) thinks that I graciously no-baked my way though Christmas.  There is something that I am not being so gracious about... and so... since I have been such a pain in the bottom... I haven't blogged about it... and that something is... my basement has gone from bad to worse... and what once looked like this...



now looks like this...

... and I am not happy about it. 

And, it's only gonna get worse (if you can believe that).  


Why?  There is a 2-inch dip/slope in the floor... and the Powers-That-Be (ahem - Dear Husband, Fairy Grandmother, and Luvs2 Boat) want to fix the dip.  Why?
  •  "You want it to be right." - Fairy Grandmother
  • "The furniture will sit correctly and NOT wobble, if we fix it." - Luvs2Boat
  • "You are going to feel like you are falling over when you walk on it, if you don't fix it." - Fairy Grandmother
  • "A 2-inch dip/slope is tacky!" - Dear Husband
I am not a patient person.  If it was up to me (and I don't seem to have a vote here) I'd tile in front of the fireplace and carpet the main flooring area... and be done with it.  Voila!  Instant office, lounge area, and play area!!!!!


Instead, we are going to:
  •  rip up the floor;
  • tear up a bit of the wall; and 
  • repour the concrete... I think that's the plan.
Then we will:
  • tile in front of the fireplace;
  • fix the walls;
  • paint the walls;
  • put down the carpet.
Notice my use of the words "we will" and "we are going to," while none of this involves me at all.  ha ha ha ha ha!


For now, I am extremely grateful for all of the help that we are getting with the project and that the basement will be so wonderful when it is finished, but I am having a very hard time being p-a-t-i-e-n-t...


Remind me to tell you about the first time "we" painted a room in our first house... again I use the term "we" loosely... it was a classic case of how my impatience can get the best of me... I clearly cut off my nose to spite my face on that one.  I'll tell you the story someday... and you'll wonder why my husband stays married to me... I think that it's because I'm such a good cook!  And, Fairy Grandmother knows the story and she will call me soon to say, "Napmom... you cannot tell that story on the internet!"  Oh yes I can!


How do you deal with home improvements in your life?

1 comment:

SusieQ said...

I am soooo laughing!!! I know you are impatient and aggravated, but you need to get this fixed from the start or you will never be happy with it.. neither will dh... So I am on the other side.. you stand alone!!! Get it right.. AFTER it is done you will be glad you did away with the slope...
And you can too tell it on the internet!!!