Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Today's Post is Brought to You by the Letters A-D-H-and-D

AD/HD (attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder) is a disorder most often diagnosed in school-age children.  It is a neorological disorder that causes them to be hyperactive and/or have difficulty paying attention.  I am not going to go into the details of AD/HD here.  You can google it for yourself and read more about it.

I do, however, want to point out a few things.

First, September 13-17 is AD/HD Awareness Week.

Second, AD/HD is often misunderstood.  I know that there are plenty of you reading, many of whom are teachers, who probably know an AD/HD child.  I have been hesitant to blog about AD/HD because I know that this blog has several teacher readers and I am becoming aware that an AD/HD diagnosis is not often well received in the world of primary school education.  I am asking you (teachers and nonteachers... that means ALL of you) for one favor this week.  One favor = please keep an open mind when dealing with a nonattentive child. 

My goal during AD/HD Awareness week is to provide you with one small piece of AD/HD information each day. 

We skipped Day 1 {{you're welcome}} so we can start with Day 2.

Day 2 ADHD Information

7 Myths About ADHD Debunked.  This link is a pdf.  It is one-page in length.  It is a very quick read.


Tomorrow we will look at AD/HD in girls. 
I hope to see you back then.


1 comment:

Mrs. Bird said...

Interesting that you would post this, and be concerned with (I assume) my reaction. I say this because I wasn't diagnosed with ADD until I was TWENTY-FOUR!!! But, I totally struggled with it all my life. So, as a teacher, I try REALLY hard to be accepting and tolerant. I will admit I kind of gravitate to those kiddos because I relate to them....