Thursday, May 5, 2011

Please stand for the playing of the National Anthem

Wow!  Get thyself to the Newseum.

I was a chaperone for Lulu's middle-school field trip to the new Newseum in Washington, DC and I had a blast!

First, the chaperones met in the school cafeteria for a briefing on our day. I have to admit that I got goosebumps when we were all asked to stand for the Pledge of Allegiance and the playing of the National Anthem.  It was a very patriotic moment, especially given the recent death of Osama bin Laden.  I don't get very many opportunities to stand for the playing of the National Anthem.  Participating in this tradition was probably the highlight of my whole day!

Admittedly, whenever I struggle though something I always as myself, "Was the juice worth the squeeze?"  That is, was it worth it to go through everything I went through to get to the final result?  Most of the time, the answer is yes. 

So, everyone is so happy that Osama bin Laden was killed.  I tend to think, "okay, so we finally killed him... but was the juice worth the squeeze?"  The answer varies for different people.  From what I am reading, most people think that the war and death of tons of soldiers, and so on,... was worth it for the death of Osama Bin Laden.  Really?  For me, I'm not so sure.  I feel like this is more of "cutting off your nose to spite your face."  Okay - I get it - he's dead - but, from what I have read he was fairly unwealthy and not running the war on terror anymore anyway.  I also believe that there is an Osama Bin Laden-like-person out there now still... ready to get us.  So, what did we really accomplish?   

Nonetheless, I am glad he is dead.  What is going through the mind of the man who shot him... knowing that he is the man who killed the most hated person in the world???  What a feeling!

When we stood for the playing of the National Anthem yesterday... in the cafeteria of a local public school... I got goosebumps.  IT was cool... and it was even cooler because of recent headlines.I am so proud to be an American and proud of our military. 

When is the last time you stood for
the playing of the National Anthem?

More about the Newseum is coming soon!

No comments: