Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Books, books, and more books

It came highly recommended… I mean very HIGHLY recommended. I didn’t finish it. I mean… I read the first 3-4 chapters and I just couldn’t take any more. I don’t know that I have EVER NOT finished a book. I don’t plan to ever pick it up again. I think that the point of the book is to justify how God (for those who believe in God) can be so good and loving, but also allow bad things to happen to people in the world. That’s great. And, some people might need that type of an education. I don’t feel like I need that information. I had 7 years of perfect attendance in Sunday school… all the while attending Christian based schools complete with daily religious classes and weekly church services… as well as attending church with my family on Sundays. I’ve heard the message before.

I feel bad even writing a “review” about a book that I didn’t even read. My book club will be reading it in a few months. I’ll sit in on the club meeting and see if I am convinced to pick it up and finish it. I’ll let you know if I change my mind.

Has anyone here read The Shack. Did you like it? Am I missing something?





I read the rest of Philippa Gregory’s books as well as a few dozen other historical and historical fiction books related to the wives of Henry VIII. Maybe I should suggest Henry VIII as a grab bag category for Monday night trivia.

Anyways, I liked the book. I give it 4 out of 5 stars.















Yep. Book 3 of the Twilight series. Seriously, I know that I am NOT going to win any friends here… but Twilight doesn’t really capture my attention. I just don’t see what’s so great about a high school love story between a vampire and a girl who seems to no interests other than her vampire boyfriend. I’m in the minority, I know. Just being honest.

I give it 3 out of 5 stars.















A book club suggestion. I don’t normally like mysteries… was NEVER a Nancy Drew lover… but I liked this book because it takes place in my local community and has bits of Annapolis politics wrapped up into it, which I find exciting.

I give it 4 out of 5 stars.












You must read the Time Traveler’s Wife before you go to watch it at the movie theater. I read the book a few years ago, and I might read it again (I rarely read books twice). I only mention it here because the movie is coming out and the book was so good (as is the case most often). It is a fabulous and interesting love story.

1 comment:

SusieQ said...

Looks like you get to read even more than I do! Probably because every time I get settle to read, I fall asleep with the book in my lap!

I was always a big Nancy Drew fan as a youngster and right now I have the first 70 of the books, with a few later ones. I keep thinking I am going to reread them someday. I still haven't finished "The Nine" as it has very small type and I can't read a lot of it at one time.. But I am geting there.. I read "Twins" last week.