Thursday, February 12, 2009

Garlic and Sapphires

I read Ruth Reichl’s Garlic and Sapphires.

I liked it for several reasons. First, this is the real-life story of a food critic, not just any food critic, but the food critic for the New York Times. So, I loved reading about the adventures of a food critic and what life is like working for the NY Times. I have somewhat always been interested in writing for a major newspaper and the newspaper process in general so it was fun to see that side of the news industry. Plus, it was very interesteing to see Reichl's take on the prejudices of the food industry when it comes to service to their paying guests.

I learned, however, that my taste buds are not very advanced, for lack of a better word. I’m not much for exotic foods. I wish that I could say that I would even eat something as mainstream as sushi, but I won’t .

Also, I liked the book because I didn’t have to worry about forgetting what was going on in the book if I didn’t get a chance to read it for a few days.

Garlic and Sapphires was a fun and pleasant read, especially for me since I enjoyed the glimpse into the life of a food critic and writer for a major newspaper. If you are interested in either of these two topics then you will probably like Garlic and Sapphires too.

No comments: