Thursday, February 5, 2009

I thought that I looked cute.

So, I did it. I bought a new shirt. I never, ever buy new clothes for myself. I am lucky enough to be the same size as my mom and she buys tons a fair amount of new clothes for herself so I just wear the ones that she doesn't want need anymore. Don't know what I'll do if I actually do lose these 20 10 pounds or she stops going to the gym. Well, if she stops going to the gym then I really WILL have tons of new to me clothes.

Back to my story. I bought a new shirt. Kinda like this one pictured here which is now on sale on e-bay. My shirt came from Kohl's and it was majorly on sale and it is new and it is not black a cute color and it goes well with black pants and it is cute and I look so cute in this shirt. I mean, when Lulu hugged me good-bye this morning she said, "Mom, you look so cute today!"

Fast foward to my day at work. I got on the elevator with a co-worker and he asked me, "So, are you in the matronly way again?" (or something like that). I played it off and said, "No, not yet," because everyone has been asking me when hubby and I will try again. Well, then he said, "Oh, you just have some extra weight to lose?" Yes. He really said that... and, there were other people on the elevator with us. I mean, how embarrassing is that. So, I replied, "I know. I do have more to lose. Probably won't lose it all before the next one comes along though." Then, the elevator doors opened and he left. The doors closed and I had to ride up one more floor in complete silence with the other folks on the elevator. I bet they had something to talk about when they got back to their offices.

I adore this particular co-worker and this is fine, but... I thought that I looked cute today.

8 comments:

Mrs. Bird said...

WOW! Open mouth and insert foot, huh? Though he sounds clueless to the fact that he might have offended you. It's a WAY cute shirt. Maybe...if you're anything like me...everytime I actually wear something NEW, or cut my hair, or wear earings, or whatever, someone tries to pin-point exactly what it is that's "differnt." So maybe he was just responded to the "something is different" vibe.

Nap Mom said...

Yes. Granted, I'm not the first woman to be asked if I was expecting, when I wasn't. Fine. I just can't believe that he continued with the comment about losing the weight. I am sure that he was not intending his comment to be mean. I was just flabbergasted and then I still had to ride on the elevator with all of the folks who heard the comment. Mortifying!

mimbles said...

*jaw drops*

You were way, way more polite to him than I would have been! I've been asked the first question on occasion and my usual reply of a cheerful "Nope, I'm just fat!" tends to result in a flurry of embarrassed apologies. But I think if someone asked me the second question there'd be WORDS said, it would not be pretty.

Manic Mommy said...

OH NO! Haven't men learned by now never to say such a thing? :( You were very gracious. I think I'd have hauled off an hit him. HA! I agree with Katelyn. He was probably responding to the 'different'-ness of the new top. I LOVE THE TOP! It's a great color for you and the neckline is adorable. Great taste Nap Mom and Lulu!

Ariane said...

That is just so mind bogglingly rude! Words fail me. About 3 dozen smart responses are swirling around in my head, but my utter astonishment that anyone feels they can make either of those remarks is prohibiting any clarity.

I'm betting you did look cute, don't let mind numbing ignorance (even if it was a rare slip from an otherwise great guy) stop you continuing to look cute in it! :)

Nap Mom said...

I still like this co-worker. Like you, I was just shocked with his second comment. I was self-conscious for the reast of the day. Maybe I did look cute after all. Who knows?

Ariane said...

You did, Katelyn has an excellent point, a lot of people don't know where to go with change. If you add that to a fit of social cluelessness, you were cute, he was an unfortunate git.

Recently a commenter at Blue Milk said her response to people asking her if she was pregnant (because she has the audacity to show her convex stomach) is "No, it's just my tummy, but you should be careful, some people might take offense to that". I've filed that away for future reference. :)

Anonymous said...

That would never have bothered me.. Where I worked most of my life that would easily have been said.. we didn't have many secrets, as our birthday (including year) was on our id card we wore on our shirts for everyone to see.. Our pay grades were common knowledge.. We knew who drove what, where they parked and where they lived.. And if there was anything we wanted to know and didn't, we asked!! Quite different working in a "plant"..