Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Random Act of Kindness - Another Attempt... kinda

Still trying to practice a random act of kindness, thanks to Yummy Mummy's challenge.

Attempt #3. I was going through the toll booth on the way to a wedding this weekend. I thought that it would be great to pay the toll for the person behind us. I think that this is a fairly common Random Act of Kindness (RAOK). Then, I looked over at the driver of the car that I was in, my dear husband. He would have thought that I was crazy to suggest such a thing. So, I didn't even ask.

Someone did pay my toll for me once actually. I was so terribly frustrated. I was next-in-line behind them and I do not know what the heck was taking so long. Were they paying with a credit card? Getting directions? Who knows, but I was pissed. Then, as fate would have it, I got up to the toll booth and the attendant told me that the person had paid for me. Yeah, I felt like a schmuck.

Attempt #4. I was on my way home from work. I picked up Bro from daycare and as I was exiting the building I noticed some awful clouds that looked like something out of a movie. The wind was whipping up and there was debris flying all over the place. The thunder was loud and the lightning was cracking - this storm had come up out of nowhere.

Thus, I abandoned the idea that Bro and I would go to the grocery store and decided that it wouldn't kill us to have cereal for dinner. Well, more liked canned peaches and toast with butter - shhhhhh don't tell.

On the way home, I saw our female neighbor running in the neighborhood. The storm was HERE - the only thing missing was the rain. I pulled over, of course, and she got in the car... with heaps and heaps of 'thanks yous."

Does this count as a RAOK? See, I don't think so. I think that this was being neighborly, not really a RAOK. What do you think?

So, go with me here... we are now 4 attempts into trying to find a RAOK. Maybe I don't quite understand the definition of RAOK. I was thinking of going and picking up trash off of the side of the street, but I consider that to be community service not an RAOK. Augh!!!!!

In the meantime, I'll just keep being nice and hopefully a RAOK opportunity will come my way.

Have any of you practiced a Random Act of Kindness lately?

2 comments:

Grand Matriarch said...

I think you should have paid for the one behind you.. That would make an impression on dh and maybe you could talk him into doing it also!

Being neighborly can also be a random act of kindness...

Keep it up!!!

Nap Mom said...

Well DH was the driver so he would have been the one to physically hand over the $$. Plus, I didn't want the arguement if he disagreed, which he would disagree.

He likes to be a kind person too, but he doesn't kindly hand over money. Needless to say, I am the one who makes the charity contributions for the household.