Saturday, January 16, 2010

Easy Potpourri

If you look closely at the working oven... and the stove on top... you will see a small pot... {{see it}} and in that small pot is... easy potpourri.



I read about easy potpourri... on a blog... of course.  And I cannot find that blog so if it was yours then let me know so that I can credit you.

First, I started with the official North Pole oranges from the kids' Christmas stockings... (see the stickers... they are official.)  You can get your stickers (and lots more goodies) from the Giver's Log



Then, I poked the orange rinds with cloves.



Then I put the rinds and two cinnamon sticks in a pot of water and simmered.



Gee... look at this picture... has... this is the old stove... I know because it's white. 

Anywhooo... I didn't get much of a scent from the potpourri the first day.  But then the water turned brown (from the cinnamon and the cloves I suspect) and the oranges took on a beige color... and now I have been simmering my potpourri every night for about a week now and it smells just wonderful!  You'll have to add water from time to time as the old water boils out... but this truly is easy potpourri.

3 comments:

SusieQ said...

Maybe I will try that, seeing as that is not really cooking! I love the smell of cinnamon and cloves, so should really like that!

Manic Mommy said...

Sometimes I add apples too and just sprinkle the cinammon and cloves. I do this often. Be sure to watch the water. More than once I've forgotten it's simmering and let the water go down. THAT smell is NOT so nice. :(

Ariane said...

Hi! Just dropping by to say there is an award for you over at my place. :)