Monday, December 7, 2009

Baking

I do sooooooo love to bake.  Mostly, I do not have the time or patience for baking cupcakes or cookies... I'm more of a bar and cake type of baker.... cobblers too.  This year, I had/have the opportunity to make several batches of cookies, for various events: 

1.  Over the weekend we made these semi-homemade cookies (as seen at According to Kelly) for our "first snow of the season" celebration... or... maybe... admittedly... it was just because I wanted to and it just so CONVENIENTLY happened to snow over the weekend.  :-)







Modifications:  Kelly made hers with gel icing.  I made mine with Wilton decorator icing because I wanted the icing to harden so that I can stack the cookies (if need be) or pack them in Em's lunchbox.  I recommend using decorator icing if you can.

2.  I have been invited to a cookie exchange.  I have ALWAYS wanted to go to a cookie exchange... I have NEVER been invited to one... I am too chicken (for lack of a better word) to hold my own.

I want to make the delicious cranberry chocolate cookies that my mom brings over from time to time... IF I can go to the party.  I hope I can go.  Life is so hectic but THIS COOKIE EXCHANGE is the one holiday event that I am most looking forward to (is that being too shallow?). 

Cookie Madness says that these cookies are "guaranteed" to be good at any cookie exchange.  Hmmm... I think that I still want to make Fairy Grandmother's cran/choc cookies.

There is one problem though... of all the cookies mentioned on this post, these cookie exchange cookies are the cookies that will actually require the use of the oven and my oven is NOT cooking at the correct temperature right now.  For example, it took me an HOUR to cook the rolls that were supposed to cook in 11 minutes.  So, I might try baking my cookies at a higher temperature and see what happens.  ;-)  Wish me luck.

3.  I volunteered to bring two types of homemade cookies to Lulu's scout troop Winter Wonderland holiday party. 

I am thinking about bringing the snowman cookies (seen above) and these oreo dreams that I have been meaning to make for over a year now.  Everyone (all of the bloggers I stalk) says that these truffles are easy and, most importantly, delicious! 

I know, I know... I could have volunteered to bring 3 boxes of Capri Suns... but why make my life easier??? Ya know?


I cannot find my dress-me-up plate (for presentation), but as luck would have it, I did give one to Fairy Grandmother for Christmas one year and I hope that she will let me borrow it (hint, hint).  (I can't find a picture of the dress-me-up plate, but it is a plain white plate with holes around the side.  You weave any color ribbon in-and-out of the holes to... dress up the plate.)  Just darling I tell you, just darling!


As the days fly by... Santa is less and less inclined to make a fairy house... a little off topic, I know... but, I'm just sayin'.

Are you accomplishing everything on your holiday to-do list?




2 comments:

SusieQ said...

So you lost your plate and now you want to lose your mom's plate? Great plan.. hahaha!!!

I have been invited to a cookie exchange for Thursday.. I wouldn't even remotely consider going!! If I didn't look so much like my mom I would think I might be in the wrong family.. save me from the kitchen!!! But I am glad you enjoy it and hope you get to go..

Tell Princess Lulu to watch the mail...

Nap Mom said...

For the record... I "lost" my plate in the move. It is in my new bungalow... somewhere!

We'll check the mailbox frequently!