Wednesday, September 17, 2008

no sleep = great breakfast

I've been up the past few nights working on some projects with dear husband. Again, last night, I rolled into bed at midnight, when I had hoped to hit the sack hours before then as I desperately needed a good night's sleep. It was not destined to be. Bro woke me up a few hours later wanting to nurse.

Before I continue, I feel compelled to share something with you that has been sitting with me for weeks now. You will not find me complaining about waking up in the middle of the night with my new baby boy. As you may remember, from this post, we had an accident at the house involving baby Bro. He is fine! However, a few weeks ago I learned of another family (friends of friends) whose new baby had the same accident and then passed away. I think about this family everyday and my heart aches for them every-singe-day, because our babies are so close in age and the accidents were so similar. I cannot help but think about how close we came to the same tragic outcome. True story - when Bro wakes up in the middle of the night, I pick him up lovingly and say a prayer to God and thank Him for giving Bro to me and for allowing me to share these "middle of the night" moments with Bro, as inconvenient as they may seem.

My plea to any mom who is reading is to take a moment today, when you are feeling the LEAST grateful for the hurried life of being a parent, and thank our Father for the moments that we are given to share with out little ones and, while you are having this conversation, please say a prayer for the family who is missing their baby.

Having said that, which I didn't know that I was going to go THERE today, I was woken up to feed Bro and then... a few hours later... I was woken up again because Lulu is away at a 5th grade overnight and is homesick. Then, I was woken up a few hours after that, by my alarm clock.

The good news is that, I went to Starbucks to get coffee for the first time in months. Truly, I would not make it through the day without it. I am not a $6 cup of coffee kinda gal. I take the house coffee in a cup and then add my own milk and sugar. It was my intent to only get the 1 cup of coffee. Well, Starbucks now offers what they call the "Perfect Oatmeal." It is only $2.35 and comes with dried fruit, a nut medley, and brown sugar "generously portioned to suit your taste." (Yes, I know that $2.35 is a bit much to pay for oatmeal, but it was the cheapest breakfast I could find -having slept in until 20 minutes before I needed to leave the house- plus it came with all of the extras.)

When the girl handed me the oatmeal, she instructed me to let it sit for 3 minutes and then it would be properly brewed. Properly brewed? What is a properly brewed cup of oatmeal? That made me chuckle. In short, the oatmeal was delicious, although I had to add more hot water when I got back to the office. I think that I might bring some packs of oatmeal to the office as well as some nuts and brown sugar. Either way, it was a great little pick-me-up this morning. All in all, I think that my total bill came to $3 and some change. Not bad for a morning breakfast with coffee. shhhhhh - don't tell dear husband.

To summarize, I didn't get to sleep last night, treated my self to Starbucks for the first time in months, and got a healthy and yummy breakfast to boot!

Has anyone else tried the Starbucks oatmeal? Do you have another portable, easy, yummy, quick breakfast idea? What's your morning rush food of choice?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

If I am in a hurry I grab a bagel and a banana but your oatmeal sure sounds like it was good.