Friday, September 26, 2008

Oatmeal - an easy recipe

Do you eat or love oatmeal as much as I do? We keep a super-size container of oatmeal in the pantry. I love oatmeal for a variety of reasons. First, it provides fiber, it is a low-cal, and it's quick. I love oatmeal in the winter because it is a warm, comfort food for breakfast. Quaker oatmeal is my brand of choice. You can but the quick oats because they are just as healthy as the old-fashioned ones.

The problem with my oatmeal is this: I never make it quite right. It's always too hot, too cold, too sticky, too runny, too sweet (after I add all of my stuff), too bland, and so on. It's never perfect, until now.

Normally, we add jarred fruit to Bro's morning oatmeal (of the Gerber variety). Recently, he has advanced to Quaker's oatmeal. We were out of jarred baby fruit so I added some cinnamon applesauce, from the refrigerator, to his oatmeal. Wham-O! Spot on! The applesauce (1) cooled down the oatmeal, (2) thinned out the oatmeal, and (3) added just the right amount of sweetness.

Now, Bro eats oatmeal, Lulu eats oatmeal, and even Dear Husband eats it. This is so perfect and so easy and a much healthier alternative to my morning feast than adding syrup and brown sugar.
Do you have a favorite breakfast or way to fix oatmeal in the morning? Please share in the comments below!

No comments: